Friday, December 23, 2005

Randomness

Alrighty, here begins a whole new chapter of randomness. LoL Well this is the thing I was just thinking about because I seriously have no life. Hahaha

Alright, so what's up with all these new terminologies that are out there in today's common speech. Sometimes these things piss me off y'know. Things like when you're out you tell someone "oh, reach cell". Now what the fuck does that mean? I know it means to call your cell, but why the hell would you purposly alter a direct speech like that? Why can't you just simply say "Call Cell". It's more direct and straight to the point, why bother saying something that could be ambiguous to someone not from around here, and say a term that is known worldwide.

Other things such as "bounce". Like when you're leaving you say "Let's bounce guys" Ok... I understand it means let's go, but like what the fuck does bouncing have to do with leaving? Y'all gonna "hop/bounce" away from that spot? Like what the fuck, makes no sense. Just say "i'm outta here" or "I'm going/leaving".

Y'know it's vocabulary like these that make create these communication barriers. I believe it was called Jargon? Where some terminologies are not valid in certain places (i.e. workplaces) I know there's a different meaning to Jargon and it's on the tip of my tongue but I can't quite get it out. But seriously, do we really need to modify speech that much? It's not even like these new terms are like more precise than like the old terms, in fact i find them more ambiguous.

Ohhhh I know what else pisses me off! Younger generations!! I'm not sure if it's just my perception or whatnot but like to me, younger and younger generations are getting stupider and stupider. Take for example my generation as opposed to people in grade 11 or something. Back in grade 11 I remember us not doing much just hanging out with our friends, going to school and occasionally there were some people who are "tough" guys/girls. Now you look around and damn! Every grade 11 kid has a friggin attitude. I shouldsn't say every grade 11 but like most grade 11's have such an attitude. Makes me want to kick their ass to wake their ass up.

It's amazing how the world changes. It could be just that i'm in university now and a whole new perspective has come over me. It's no longer about not caring about anything, but I have to look ahead into the future and think that I have to make a good living for myself and I can't count on my parents for support.

I really miss those days. Not having a care in the world. Now it's a whole new ball game. New players, new equipment, new stadium. everything's changed. and that's all for now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Gina said...

lol, Jon, it's called, "slang." You used jargon right, technically. But mostly, jargon means specialized language of a profession. =P

We all have our own sayings and such. I mean, "dealing," and even "What's up?" is pretty nonsensical.

All languages have them. It's actually pretty cool when you think about it. Because slang is like a language that develops and somehow it spreads to so many people. And it's not official, it's usually passed on by speech. It really makes you think about who you talk to and what you say and how that affects other people and the world. Yes, it creates language barriers, but it's also part of the process of learning language. If we wanted there to be the least communication barriers, we would all speak really formally and that would be very unnatural.

I always see people younger than us kind of like us when we were that age. Like, maybe not all the bad stuff, but when you think about it, we're all kind of similar in some ways.

And the whole university thing is true. In High school, the only thing really really needed to focus on was getting into university. There was pretty much nothing out there for us to do (that wouldn't disappoint our parents). Growing up makes your perspective wider. It's called learning. =P

So stop hating on stuff, Jon (seeeee? Another phrase). It's part of life. And other people probably looked at us and thought that the world was turning bad because we weren't like them or said things that didn't make sense to them. It's a big circle.

And now I'm tempted to sing Circle of Life, haha

1:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Virginia. Also, it's what media has influence us today. If everyone speaked formally, that woudl really weird.

The whole younger generation does not get more stupid, 'cause let me remind you that I'm in a calc class with all these Grade 11s (and yes, I am offended). You're generalizing (is that how you spell it?). But yes, I know what you mean, and they are "stupider" partially by media. That's just my opinion.

*poufage*
(not necessarily the same as "bounce")

10:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home